Friday, September 26, 2008

V for Vendetta

A friend called me yesterday and we talked from health to politics as usual and the topic touched on my interest in blogging. I explained to her how I got started and also what the main picture and the icon “V” in my blog meant. I thought this may be a good topic to write about, as to why I choose “V” out of many icons that were available!

Like many of you I too was influenced and shaped by many great thinkiers during my
early part of my education. I had a great interest in history particularly freedom fighters and revolutionist or nationalist to stand politically correct, people like Gandhi, Subash Chandra Bose, Aung Sang, Jose Rizal, Che Guevara and others as I thought they were cool dudes! I thought life is not just mere existence but a conscious choice to live!

V is a about a masked vigilante, revolutionist who combats the tyranny of the government in a futuristic setting. Allow me to borrow the script from the movie “V” for Vendetta to illustrate the choice of V as my icon.

“ Remember, remember the 5th of Nov…….I like the many of you, like the comfort of routine, the security of familiarity, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them much as any bloke but in the spirit of commemoration where by important events has past usually associated with someone’s death or the end of some awful, bloody, struggle are celebrated with a nice holiday!

I thought that I could mask the Nov the 5th a day sadly no longer remembered by taking some time in our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are of course those who do not want us to speak even now.

Why?

Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversations but words will always retain their power. Words meant more to those who listen to the enunciation of truth and the truth is, something is terribly wrong with this government, isn’t it? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression and where once you had the freedom to object to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.

How did it happen?
Who’s to be blamed?

Certainly there are those who are more responsible than others and they will be held accountable but again truth must be told. If you’re looking for the guilty, you need only to look into the mirror!

I know why you did it?
I know that you were afraid?
Who wouldn’t be!

Fear got the best of you and in panic you turned to the present government which promised peace and prosperity and all they demanded in return was your silence and obedience consent.

More than 400 years ago a great citizen wished to imbed the 5th of Nov forever in our minds his hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives.

So if you see nothing of the crimes of this government remain unknown to you than I suggest that you allow the 5th of Nov to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel what I feel and if you would seek as I seek then I ask you to stand beside me...


That’s the quest V takes until he finds his destiny in this movie, I thought this movie is all about us; you,me,the government and what is happening to this country. I think there is some percentage of “V” ness in everyone of us looking thus looking at the events which are unfolding; people wanting change and the one in power is vainly refusing it. So there you have it why ‘V”, it stands for Vanquish, Vain, Valor,Value and Virtue and many more.It is all about perspective!

No comments: