Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Malaysian Migration Issue

Recently the Deputy Foreign Minister Kohilan Pillay said that the number of Malaysians who have decided to emigrate abroad has almost doubled this year to 304,358 from Mac 2008 to August 2009. A total of 3,800 Malaysians have given up their citizenship and simply opted to leave the country of their birth. Furthermore it has been noted that almost 50 % who left are professionals who have chosen to seek greener pastures abroad, citing better pay and working opportunities as well as marriage as the most common reasons given. I guess this possibly could be due to commentaries by our polished politicians “ if you don’ like it, leave it’!
Five of my university friends have migrated to the US,UK and Australia with an addition of one leaving end of Dec 09. I asked him why after all this years is he leaving. He answered “ I’ve lost faith in this country. I have struggled on my own for too long and have experienced discrimination all along yet hang on all this years to see if things would improve but I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel after witnessing the turnaround of events under the current government. I’m done with Malaysia”. He has been a dear friend of mine for the last 40 years and now he is leaving to Australia!This is the political maturity of this government for not looking at themselves and asking what has Malaysia done so wrong for this entire people to leave. I doubt they neither have the intelligence nor intellect to reflect upon this issue!I am one of them who went abroad but came back as I love Malaysia, so I thought! I wonder at times why I ever returned.

Let me quote what Farish Noor said in his article” Malaysia is most in danger not when it is invaded, but when Malaysians themselves have lost faith in it”.

No comments: