Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Name is Khan

Yesterday I watched a Hindi movie titled My Name is Khan starring Shah Rukh Khan and by the way he is a big name in Bollywood,Mumbai. It is an interesting story about how the lives of Muslims in America were changed after Sept 11 or 9/11 for short. It depicts how the Muslims were mistreated by the general American public and how they lived in fear of racial attacks post 9/11. Some even shaved their beard which is considered a religious symbol to the Muslim and the women removed their "hijab" or "tudung' just to be avoid any unruly treatment. The character Khan after losing his son due to school bullies also lost his wife's love as she blamed him for their son's death as he carried his surname "Khan". Hence Khan set out on a quest to meet the President of USA to tell him that his name is Khan an he is not a terrorist. The moral is to tell the audience that racial profiling and prejudice is unwarranted for mankind to live in peace. I could fully relate to this story in Malaysia as that's how the citizens were profiled either as a 'Bumi' or 'Non-Bumi'. My name warrants the government and its mechanism to marginalise me and refuse me of my rights in this country of which I was born. It's just because my name is Ah Kow, Muthu, Ramasamy or Ah Chong and I am called a 'pendatang' because of my name.We cry out loud if any Muslims were discriminated in other part of the world but we do the same here in this country do those who are non-Muslims. Why am I being treated differently compared to the Malay-Muslims? Will it make a difference if I changed my name to Mohammad,Najib,Muhyiddin or Ibrahim Ali? Even an illegal of Muslim faith are treated with respect compared to us who are born in this country.
By the way my name is Ah Kow and Muthu and I too am Malaysian!

No comments: