Monday, August 18, 2008

Malaysia's Bucket List

Recently I watched a movie titled “ The Bucket List”…it was great movie played by two of my favorites Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. It’s a movie about two middle aged man in a death bed reaching out to the inner needs or self actualization list in short, they made a list of things together to do and went out to make it happen. Simple story line but profound meaning to me as I looked at my own bucket list and one of it was the itch to write! That is something that I wanted to do for a long time and a thought came to me on what possibly could be the bucket list for Malaysia!

The winds of change in Malaysia something that I never thought that I’ll live to see in my life time! I guess I may not be the only one with that thought?

Sad to see and hear what is happening even after the so called political tsunami some of us are still propagating the same old agenda of Malay supremacy, Indian and Chinese rights.

Have we ever wondered what possibly could be Malaysia’s bucket list?

How ironic that that some of us are still so selfish even after witnessing what is wrong with the world and have been playing god in some issues, trying to be politically correct about Palestine, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and the US and the whole load of crap that we stand for yet closing an eye about Malaysia issues.

In our own courtyard we have the same issues in hand and we are screwing it up big time, haven’t we learnt anything from history? So which is the superior race in Malaysia? Are we dumb or just plain stupid for raising race issues every time. The theme of a superior race is a bloody fallacy that drove people to war and destruction, do we Malaysia wants takes that path for some politically motivated small napoleons’?

Are the Malays superior than the Chinese or Indian or any less superior than them or the any other way around? When are we ever going to grow up and learn that we are living in a small blue marble and we have no where to go and yet daily we hear some ignorant fools still talking about race superiority? Haven’t we seen enough in history the down fall of ancient civilizations once upon a time walked in this world and now lost in history pages? We need to do some digging into the artifacts and put the pieces to together to understand and learn what have become of the rich and majestic civilization that once stood tall in this world? I remember another cliché that I saw in another movie “the destruction of any civilization starts from within and not from the outside”. Wake up Malaysian and think for a while what Malaysia needs and not being selfish in what the Malay or Indian or a Chinese need. Don’t repeat the history of the other civilization that has perished from the face of the earth as they are only been covered in history books If we follow the same path of destruction I doubt we even will make it into any history books in the future as we are an insignificant nation!


The only time I think that I felt being a Malaysians, it’s when I was abroad but it changes once I come back to Malaysia. It was great feeling to meet fellow Malaysian while living abroad, the joy of finding out about each other, which state or town that they come from and the funny fact is that the question of race was never a topic conversation! When foreigners ask me where do you come from and I say “Malaysia” with a smile in my face. Then I asked my self a question whether am I really being proud of being Malaysian and I am not sure of the answer then. I spent some time overseas and when I came back and when I caught the glimpse of KLIA from the skies, it felt good, to my country where I was born and raised. The reason that I left Malaysia was like anyone else who wanted to leave for better opportunity elsewhere. I was growing to hate Malaysia as there’s a strong race based policies been developed, staggering shots at other religions where one professes superiority over other faiths, wastage of public funds with no accountability and transparency and many more disheartening issues. How could a rational, logical thinking human could hate his or her own country, then it daunted upon me that it is not Malaysia that we hate but the policies and practices and the governance that drove me and many others away. While living abroad I spoke to many Malaysia living abroad and their responses on why they choose to live abroad were; better living, good future for their children, better prospects, been respected and treated or made to feel treated equal and yet many felt that they do not belong there and strongly felt that they belong here in Malaysia. Why would someone who loves Malaysia that much stays away from her and that reminded me of an article by someone who wrote sometime ago” I love Malaysia and but do not know if Malaysia loves me back”?

If it is true that the government, is for the people and by the people and it is definitely not someone’s right to dictate and push their own agenda in the pretext of making it the national agenda. Everyone will go down in history either in a macro or in a micro sense. If the politician are truthful during their political speeches blaring that they will “listen to the rakyat and take the rakyat’s decision” than take it with of pinch of salt, the rakyat has spoken, we Malaysian have spoken. Finally Malaysia has spoken so the million dollar question is what does Malaysia wants now…lets’ make a list together and make it happen!

Awake my nation to the dawn of hope,
Awake my motherland from the clutches of tyranny,
Awake my nation from the gloomy past,
Awake my motherland to the glory that awaits you….a possible hope!

No comments: