Thursday, December 11, 2008

Saudara Baru

A friend of mine sent me this mail to be posted in my blog,interesting piece for your reading pleasure.

"Its funny now when I recollect my experience as a new convert to Islam, I was told by the Ustaz whom performed the ceremony that " Do not follow the Malays but follow the Koran". I did not understand then what it meant as I brushed aside his advice at that time in ignorance.

After looking at the events that are unfolding in Malaysia, I am beginning to understand what the Ustaz meant. In Malaysia it is a fallacy that Malays equal to Muslim, what is being practiced by the Malays is not what propagated by the prophet ( pbuh) or according to the Koran. I am not saying that there aren’t any Malays who are following the teachings as it is, as I know many who do so. The more I read the Quran, the more I understand how it is been practiced. Raja Petra wrote ' My god is different from your god" in Malaysia-today on how he viewed Islam being practiced by some in Malaysia.

I am in the position to understand better how the non-muslims are feeling of the Malays and Islam at large as far as Malaysia is concerned. They are not against Islam but they are against every form of discrimination and falsehood been practiced as Islamic in Malaysia. A Malay Muslim in Malaysia can say anything and everything about the non-muslim and it is totally acceptable but not so for non-muslim as they can’t even hold a forum to discuss about “Conversion to Islam” it is a crime against Islam and they feel that the non-muslims are challenging Islam or even more the Malays. Isn’t this isn’t double standard than what is, I have every right to voice my opinions and my disagreement but you can’t even hold a forum to discuss about your issues or problems. Islam is a peaceful religion and we are showing to the non-muslims and the whole world how peaceful we are in our conduct.

I bet many Malay-Muslim will never understand the predicament of non-muslims in this country because they have never been on the other side neither willing to sit down at the same table to discuss. I grew up in a Malay kampong when I was young and I was treated with more respect by the Malay folks even when I was practicing a different faith and they would come over during the festive season to enjoy the feast and they were very much a Muslim but that has changed now as it is considered to be un-islamic even to visit a house of a non-believer! How sad that some religious bigots has influenced the minds of the Malays over the years. Non-muslim will always be skeptical about Islam and Muslim in this country as long as the Malays behave the same manner as what we shown to the non-muslims than what is taught in the Quran. It hurts me more to see that how it is distorted by some and mis-understood by many.

May I quote Surah Al-Nahl, Ayat 125: ‘Invite (all) to the Way of the Lord with wisdom and beautiful discourse; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for the Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance.’
To be respected, respect other first, try to understand before being understood and I truly wish the Muslims in Malaysia to take stock of our deeds as we are answerable during the judgment day. Are we true Muslims? Whatever we do, Allah knows it all!"

There you go!

No comments: